[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: Build Chain / Rendering Pipeline

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon Apr 25 22:37:28 CEST 2011

Hi Sebastian,

Cool that you could find time to get started. I must say that I'm not
familiar with Phing, but from what I know it's suited to what we want to
achieve.

> For actually running the build chain, I'd suggest to use Hudson: It can
> monitor the repositories, trigger the build and move the generated PDFs
> and HTML to somewhere.

That could be interesting. Defining when a given manual needs to be
rendered and in which formats (as I mentioned before, we would probably
have "full" and "partial" renderings) is a very important aspect.

> Furthermore, I think it would be important to think about commenting to
> documentation again. Right now I would favor an approach which loads the
> comments dynamically via AJAX (like on api.jquery.com) from a separate
> backend. Then, we don't need to adjust the DocBook XSL stylesheets so
> heavily, but place the functionality for comments "on top", and would
> just need to include a simple JavaScript file then.
> Carveat: This would NOT work without JavaScript then; but for me this
> would be an acceptable drawback, as it would make deployment a lot easier.

This is definitely something that I plan to have. We must be able to
incorporate rendered "pages" into typo3.org and be able to connect them
to comments, snippets or whatever else we may come up with.

I think this is a very important point, that must be done with care. I'm
not yet sure how to handle that from a technical point of view. Maybe we
should think of how the integration into typo3.org should happen and
then produce the appropriate HTML. Not the other way around. As far as
I'm concerned it's ok to take time and make this right, as it is really
important.