[TYPO3-doc] Small improvements to official documentation template

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Wed Sep 15 22:29:51 CEST 2010

Hi again,

Here we go for vX (I've lost count ;-) ):

http://drp.ly/1JLCbt

Quite a few changes in this one, thanks to the beautiful fonts Jigal
pointed to:

- I have replaced Times for the main text by Baskervald, a font derived
from Baskerville which looks really brilliant in a PDF and also very
good when printed IMO
- for the headings, I have replaced Vera Sans with the much more elegant
Gillius n°2, derived from Gill Sans
- I have kept Vera Monospace for the code samples, because it looks good
and has the advantage that "1" and "l" are well differentiated

With this new choice of fonts, I turned to the problem with the tables,
where it was indeed weird to use yet another font (Arial), but where I
had found that using Vera or Vera Sans gave a rather horrible result.

So here is the result of many tries (with some of the thinking behind
the choices):

- Gillius n°2 bold for the table heading (regular looks too thin and out
of place)
- Baskervald regular for the tables cells
- Baskervald bold for the first column (I know the previous version with
italics was appreciated, but Baskervald italic was not readable enough,
so I went for bold)

Additional changes:

- gray 60% is gone, replaced by black, with bold-italic for the smallest
heading size, which helps it stand clearly apart despite the small font size
- I also reworked the page header: I removed the TYPO3 logo, because I
thought it was redundant with the one at the bottom. I also separated
the manual's name (flush left) from the chapter's name (flush right).
The gray bar below looks unchanged, but is actually incorporated as a
border of the header rather than as a floating line, which is much
cleaner (it now moves according to changes in the header rather than
living an independent life).

I must say I'm really happy with this latest version. I hope you will
like it too.