[TYPO3-doc] Small improvements to official documentation template

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sun Sep 12 22:07:16 CEST 2010

Hi folks,

Here goes the next version:

http://drp.ly/1IiXef

Changes:

- following the discussion about the tables, I made something close to
Hermann's 5th proposal, but went for italics instead of bold for the
"main items" in the table. I think it's quite ok and far nicer on the
eyes than bold.
- about being able to distinguish between "1" and "l" in URLs, I
experimented with various monospaced fonts. I was pretty happy with
Lucida, but the good variants are only commercially available. So I went
for Vera Sans Monospace which gives very good results for preformatted
text IMO and is a open source font.
- this was starting to make a lot of fonts, so I changed all the
headings to use Vera Sans instead of Tahoma. It's a bit wider, but I
don't think that makes such a difference.
- which brings me back to the tables: inside the cells themselves, the
font used is Arial, but it's very compact, which is good for such
tables. I tried to move it to Vera Sans too and the result is just not
good. So I think we're stuck with three fonts, which is a bit much
according to typography's golden rules, but I'm not sure we can achieve
better without actually having to buy a large font family (like Lucida)
which would give us all the variety we need but would be a license
nightmare with so many contributors.

To be complete I should mention that the topic of changing the manual's
template has been on a separate agenda for a couple of days now, but
I'll make a separate post about this. Suffice it to say here that I
think we have reached a pretty satisfying result for now. More could be
achieved but would require a change of process IMO. I think we should
settle on a template soon, because there are some new manuals pending
and some older ones that need an update.

I'm not trying to close this discussion prematurely (and - again - I'm
very happy about it), but it could potentially last for a very long time
(although opinions have not diverged very much), so we should try to
bring it to a close in the not so far future.