[TYPO3-doc] Small improvements to official documentation template

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 11 20:32:32 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 9-9-2010 17:50, Daniel Bruessler wrote:
> What's with the table-header. Isn't it still too "noisy"? It's the same
> font like the "callout boxes" have, but must it be so? I think the most
> important things what we're seeking for, when we look at the TSref pages
> are the keywords on the left side. So it might be better if they're
> better too see and the table-header less.

Traditionally bold isn't used too much in normal text because it looks
like dark blobs on a page. In most cases italics are used because the
letters have the same weight as regular text.

Bold is usually only used in headings.

Also table headings are traditionally set in italics. Lines in tables
are usually limited to: above and below the table headings and below the
last row.

Because white space has been reduced for older display types it became
necessary to add more grid lines to tables.

Bold text has become popular since the old character based displays (ye
olde 80x25 displays :-) ); there was only one character set, but the
brightness could be varied. Later it was easy to fake bold text by
displaying the same character twice, the second time one pixel to the right.

> What's with special stuff like filenames, URLs. Is it good to see what
> is an l and what a 1?

I like to put technical stuff like filenames, variable and function
names inside normal text in a fixed width font.

> What's with navigation-info like Menu>>  User tools>>  User settings>>
> Startup>>  Start up in the following module
> What formatting-style do we use?

I myself like to use italics with a single '>' between the items.

> Another thing is in-document-navigation. Do we use it?
> Example:
> Use the HowTo at page 13 “HowTo: Update a manual to the new layout”

Maybe these quotes: »HowTo: Update a manual to the new layout« ?

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert
skype:jigal.van.hemert