[TYPO3-doc] New documentation categories

ben van 't ende ben at typo3.org
Thu Mar 25 15:45:52 CET 2010

On 05/03/10 08:41, Daniel Bruessler wrote:
> Hello Francois,
>
> thank you much for your thoughts on the documentation :-) We can
> optimize it if we do it together - and if we have the right resources.
> For example we need either
> - an extra server where we can run extensions what do the better work
> - access to typo3.org to install better extensions
>
> For example it's time to migrate from .sxw to .odt and to conversion of
> the .sxw manuals to .odt via xsl.
>
> Yes, that are details, but that's needed before we discuss much about
> what should be. Do we get the access to the server/ a server to really
> provide new and optimized features?

Hey Daniel/Francois,

Moving from sxw to odt is hardly a detail. I have asked time and time again how
can achieve this. In a year from now no-one will even know what sxw is. I have
no clue about this. Do you have an idea how we can migrate all these documents?
And if not who does?

> ---
> And yes: It's a very good idea to use "just" the extensionkey as
> category for core/ tutorial/ guide. So we don't need tagging for this case.

ofcourse

>> The first way I would distinguish between these three kinds of documents
>> if by extension key. We already have "doc_core_*" for core
>> documentation. I would like to have "doc_tut_*" for tutorials and
>> "doc_guide_*" for guides. To enforce the official quality of such
>> documents, those keys would not be available for registration via the
>> TER. One would have to apply to get one. Looking at what "doc_tut_*"
>> exists out there currently, this should not be a big issue: they are
>> either very old manuals by Kasper or translations thereof. Hopefully we
>> can get those translators who are still motivated to translate the new
>> manuals and render the old ones obsolete.
>>
>> Then of course each of these categories would have its own list/page/tab
>> on typo3.org.
>
> Yes, that's very good.
>
>> Apart from that I don't think that the documents should look different.
>> They should all be clearly recognizable as "official manuals"

One thing I think should also be done is to lay down a sexier OOo template. The
one that is being used now is also a bit old skool.

Is the whole strategy bundled into a single document now somewhere/

gRTz

ben
--
TYPO3 Product Manager