[TYPO3-doc] New documentation categories

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Mar 25 17:31:20 CET 2010

Hi,

> Moving from sxw to odt is hardly a detail.

OK, it's not truly a detail. What I meant is that compared to the work
necessary to update the existing documentation or creating a new one,
this seems to be a rather little technical point.

> I have asked time and time again how
> can achieve this. In a year from now no-one will even know what sxw is. I have
> no clue about this. Do you have an idea how we can migrate all these documents?
> And if not who does?

I have never yet looked at how different SXW and ODT formats are. I
guess anyway that the current SXW rendering engine provides a good base
for creating a ODT renderer.

Daniel, could you just make a try of comparing the XML from the same
document in SXW and ODT and give us a short report of how different the
two are? It would be very helpful.

> One thing I think should also be done is to lay down a sexier OOo template. The
> one that is being used now is also a bit old skool.

Who could work on this? Do we have a designer available. We should
probably make more extensive use of the "official" Share font, but I
would like to avoid using it for *all* the text as I think is
recommended by the branding guidelines, because even the lighter
versions are pretty heavy and are not appropriate for large documents
IMO (and I worked in the print industry for a while, so I'm not talking
idly).

That being said, the current template may not be very sexy, but I think
it's also far from ugly and it has a rather bland look that is quite
appropriate to documentation IMO.

What I really miss however is some additional styles, in particular
highlight boxes for such things as "Warning", "Important to remember",
"Tips & tricks" that could improve and enliven the manuals.

> Is the whole strategy bundled into a single document now somewhere/

Not the whole, but I've started making notes in the wiki of the Official
Documentation Forge project, because it seemed easier to find than
somewhere in the TYPO3 wiki. Here's the link:

http://forge.typo3.org/wiki/typo3v4-documentation