[TYPO3-doc] Bug fixer's guide?

bernd wilke t3ng at pi-phi.tk
Thu Aug 5 15:31:39 CEST 2010

Am Wed, 04 Aug 2010 08:49:05 +0200 schrieb François Suter:

> Hi all,
>
> Some more food for thought :-)
>
> I recently worked on content for the new typo3.org site and gave a good
> scrubbing to the pages covering the bug fixing topic (see
> http://typo3.org/development/bug-fixing/ on the current site). There's a
> lot of information there, part of it dreadfully obsolete BTW.
>
> While looking at all this I thought that this was too much information
> to have on the web site itself and that a good part of it could be
> rather packaged in a short guide about bug hunting/bug fixing.
>
> I came up with a tentative table of contents:
>
> == Finding bugs ==
>
> * reproducibility
> * eliminate other sources of errors (settings, etc.) * search the bug
> tracker (sub-topic: finding the right bug tracker) * ask in the English
> mailing list
> * open a bug report
>
> == Fixing bugs ==
>
> * create a patch file
> * attach to bug report
> * submit to mailing list, if appropriate (sub-topic: core mailing list
> rules)
> * testing patches
>
> == Working with development versions ==
>
> * version control repositories
> * checking out a working copy
> * creating a patch with a working copy * creating a patch without a
> working copy
>
> == Appendix: setting up a development environment ==
>
> * version control clients
> * IDEs
>
> What do you think (of the general idea and of the proposed content)?
>
> Cheers

I appreciate the idea of detailed information (especially for beginners)

can you insert an additional point: 'how to participate in a TYPO3 bug
day'?

my question : how can someone (a beginner) find this information?

if it is website-content sooner or later google will find and index it.
inside of any document it could be a little bit difficult (google does
index PDF, but does it also index sxw-files?)

on the website you could be more dynamic.
e.g. having an accordeon-javascript, an overview could be seen always and
examples or more information could be expanded (or be on following/popup
pages)
what about the coming commention function, so everyone can add further
information? in a static document it won't be possible to add comments

you also may have the content in a downloadable document (export page to
pdf)

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html