[TYPO3-doc] Bug fixer's guide?

Martin Holtz typo3ng_2009 at martinholtz.de
Wed Aug 4 15:51:30 CEST 2010

Hi Francois,

> While looking at all this I thought that this was too much information
> to have on the web site itself and that a good part of it could be
> rather packaged in a short guide about bug hunting/bug fixing.
I think at least "Finding Bugs" should be completly available on the
website.
(IMHO it should be easier to keep content up to date on the website then
in an sxw/docbook or whatever, but thats a differnt topic)

> I came up with a tentative table of contents:
>
> == Finding bugs ==
>
> * reproducibility
> * eliminate other sources of errors (settings, etc.)
> * search the bug tracker (sub-topic: finding the right bug tracker)
> * ask in the English mailing list
> * open a bug report
>
> == Fixing bugs ==
>
> * create a patch file
> * attach to bug report
> * submit to mailing list, if appropriate (sub-topic: core mailing list
> rules)
> * testing patches
>
> == Working with development versions ==
>
> * version control repositories
> * checking out a working copy
> * creating a patch with a working copy
> * creating a patch without a working copy
>
> == Appendix: setting up a development environment ==
>
> * version control clients
> * IDEs
>
> What do you think (of the general idea and of the proposed content)?
fine with idea in general and your propsed content.

greetings,
martin

--
Martin Holtz - elemente websolutions http://www.elemente-websolutions.ms