[TYPO3-doc] Bug fixer's guide?

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Wed Aug 4 08:49:05 CEST 2010

Hi all,

Some more food for thought :-)

I recently worked on content for the new typo3.org site and gave a good
scrubbing to the pages covering the bug fixing topic (see
http://typo3.org/development/bug-fixing/ on the current site). There's a
lot of information there, part of it dreadfully obsolete BTW.

While looking at all this I thought that this was too much information
to have on the web site itself and that a good part of it could be
rather packaged in a short guide about bug hunting/bug fixing.

I came up with a tentative table of contents:

== Finding bugs ==

* reproducibility
* eliminate other sources of errors (settings, etc.)
* search the bug tracker (sub-topic: finding the right bug tracker)
* ask in the English mailing list
* open a bug report

== Fixing bugs ==

* create a patch file
* attach to bug report
* submit to mailing list, if appropriate (sub-topic: core mailing list
rules)
* testing patches

== Working with development versions ==

* version control repositories
* checking out a working copy
* creating a patch with a working copy
* creating a patch without a working copy

== Appendix: setting up a development environment ==

* version control clients
* IDEs

What do you think (of the general idea and of the proposed content)?