[TYPO3-doc] Writing Manuals in wiki.typo3.org

Daniel Brüßler info at -remove-patchworking.de
Sat Mar 24 12:02:22 CET 2007

Hi Jakub,

also respect you. I find it very good, that you like to contribute in
documentation and discuss with me about the structure and current features.

You help much with your questions and answers and with the tools you
found for import. Thank you!

++--------

linking to sub-topics via tagging (example "performance")
means:
In an article about an extension what must have a good performance one
can click at the word "performance" and gets to the list of all other
wiki-pages what use this keyword. "tagging" means to put keywords into a
text. Wiki-Categories are not flexible enough for this!

++--------

We need to have a special namespace for extensions so that they cannot
collide with simple words. Instead of the prefix "extensions" we could
also have a wiki-namespace like "ext:", but that's not good for newbees.

Have a look at "Ext tt products" - this is not a manual, it's a
project-page with whislist and news. If the team wants to work on the
manual for this extension by teamwork it can import it as subpage
"/manual" - and later export back to OO when it's updated again.

++---------

I didn't say something about the whole wiki-structure, because I try to
have much time for *doing* things. I hope the time we use for talk and
discussion is helpfull, so that you can choose easily what you like to
contribute.

Here a short list of what "logical components" the wiki exists
* we have documents for extensions (some are not existing as OO-doc,
some are additional and current notes, and yes the names have several
naming-styles in the moment)
* we have many pages what should be much smaller (just an index of
wiki-documents with a little explaination)
* we have a translation for many wiki-pages (the pagename just has a
prefix for example "jp:")
* we have a structure made by Categories and by Tagging (I hope you know
what I mean with Tagging yet)
* we have 3 starting-pages (Main_Page, Teamwork, Document_Matrix)
* we have many starting-pages for current running projects and for
several teams (for example "ECT" and "Rebuilding TYPO3.org")
* we have the TSref in german what makes much use of the easy linking
the wiki provides. Martin Holtz is caring for it.

And in a sentence: Every wiki-page should be as informative as possible
like wikipedia. Index-pages and lists of pages should be as automatic as
possible, because nobody wants to care for lists. To have that automatic
lists we use categories and tagging.

Have a nice weekend

kind regards
Daniel Brüßler