[TYPO3-doc] Writing Manuals in wiki.typo3.org

Jakub Tesinsky j at kub.cz
Sat Mar 24 11:18:19 CET 2007

All the reasons you are writing are good but, nevertheless they are not
saying much about the overal structure of the wiki. Is there something
like that? From the previous discussions I got the feeleng that there is
nothing like that. Moreover many of the reasons are either purely
technical ones or can be achieved in the same way or even in the better
way be other technical means. To be specific:

> * "extensions" is easy to remember and same path like www.typo3.org

I am not exactly sure if I get the point. Why the fact that extensions
is easy to remember word means that in every single sentence mentioning
kickstar on the wiki one should write things like: "...  use the
[[extensions/kickstarter/manula|kickstarter]] to begin .." instead of
"...  use the [[kickstarter]] to begin ..

> * "manual" the same word like www.typo3.org

The same reason as before + the reasons I have ritten in my previous
mail. To select one: what is the plan with the kickstarter page itslef
than? What is going to be there? Is there already enough content to fill
up two pages?

> * linking to sub-topics via tagging (example "performance").

This I do not understand.

> * special extension-keys like "sandbox" are no problem

this is a technical thing and coincidence with ONE extension. It can be
easily solved within one minute in Mediwiki configuration.

> * the special-page "Special:Prefixindex" can list everything with prefix
> "extensions/"

[[Category:Extension]] can do the same and in the better way - it can
have explanatory text attached. Using Special:Prefixindex for such
reasons is a VERY BAD idea.

> * it's easy to link to this wiki-page from TER or an OO-doc

It is even easier to link to the [[Kisckstarter]] page alone.

> Problem:
> * We've got to move many wiki-pages (the old name will be a redirect!)

Come on, how many good extensions manual are in wiki? 20? I doubt very
much. Moreover if you look at the maning of them there are at leas three
different conventions used and the proposed
extensions/kickstarter/manual is NOT the prevealing one at all.

Main argument nevertheless is: UNLESS we have the clear plan about the
wiki structure, the will ALWAYS be this doubd when introducing ANY NEW
ty pe of page, which is just waste of energy and motivation. And it
stops people just writing things.

> What you don't know: I'm caring for TYPO3-documentation via wiki since
> 2002 and for the official TYPO3wiki since around 2003/2004.

I fully respect that and if at any stage my ideas should show
incompatible with yours I give the ground easily. My intention is not
change you of the community unless there is a will for such a change. I
only want to show that IMHO there IS a better way to do things. That is all.