[TYPO3-doc] Writing Manuals in wiki.typo3.org

Jakub Tesinsky j at kub.cz
Sat Mar 24 16:34:24 CET 2007

> linking to sub-topics via tagging (example "performance")
> means:
> In an article about an extension what must have a good performance one
> can click at the word "performance" and gets to the list of all other
> wiki-pages what use this keyword. "tagging" means to put keywords into a
> text. Wiki-Categories are not flexible enough for this!

I am little bit confused here. Do you mean the {{Tag|...}} template? In
this case there is almost no differecnce to taging and putting into
category. I also do not understand what is the relation between the
nameing and the presence of anything like tag on the page.

> ++--------
>
> We need to have a special namespace for extensions so that they cannot
> collide with simple words. Instead of the prefix "extensions" we could
> also have a wiki-namespace like "ext:", but that's not good for newbees.
>
> Have a look at "Ext tt products" - this is not a manual, it's a
> project-page with whislist and news. If the team wants to work on the
> manual for this extension by teamwork it can import it as subpage
> "/manual" - and later export back to OO when it's updated again.

But namespace means st. different in mediawiki. Namespaces are definet
in the coniguration and have : separatotr instead of / one. Also the
implementation of namespaces differs from subpages, which is the notion
ortogonal to namespaces to some extent. Also the subpaging can be turned
on/off for different namespaces.

Also for the main page about the extension: From what you are saying the
page about extension is meant primarilly for developers of extension.
However I do not think this is a good idea. Main page for extension
should be for extension USERS and should help them with
installation/configuration/usage of the extension in the first place.
Also mediawiki is not sourceforge and is not good in these things.

> ++---------
>
> I didn't say something about the whole wiki-structure, because I try to
> have much time for *doing* things. I hope the time we use for talk and
> discussion is helpfull, so that you can choose easily what you like to
> contribute.

yes I know that you did not say and it is good, it would not be a good
idea to discuss this. But it has also been the main reason why I do not
like three levels of ad hoc hierarchy like extensions/kickstarter/manual.

> Here a short list of what "logical components" the wiki exists
> * we have documents for extensions (some are not existing as OO-doc,
> some are additional and current notes, and yes the names have several
> naming-styles in the moment)
> * we have many pages what should be much smaller (just an index of
> wiki-documents with a little explaination)
> * we have a translation for many wiki-pages (the pagename just has a
> prefix for example "jp:")
> * we have a structure made by Categories and by Tagging (I hope you know
> what I mean with Tagging yet)
> * we have 3 starting-pages (Main_Page, Teamwork, Document_Matrix)
> * we have many starting-pages for current running projects and for
> several teams (for example "ECT" and "Rebuilding TYPO3.org")
> * we have the TSref in german what makes much use of the easy linking
> the wiki provides. Martin Holtz is caring for it.

There should be some structures helphing users as well. I have feeling
that there are too much of structures and some of them are historically
obsolete. But it might only be a feeling.

> And in a sentence: Every wiki-page should be as informative as possible
> like wikipedia. Index-pages and lists of pages should be as automatic as
> possible, because nobody wants to care for lists. To have that automatic
> lists we use categories and tagging.

Totally agree, categories are good for such things.