[Typo3-doc] Greetings from the US

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Mon Oct 17 17:42:11 CEST 2005

Hi Alex,
>> Sounds good, even if I don´t know what people in the community
>> thinks about US-English documentation...  ;-)
>>
> I think it depends on *who* in the community you're talking about! :)

I still think this is a question that Kasper or someone near him
should answer. And the Association should set up some
recommendations about "official" Typo3 documentation.

> Well.. let's just say I am not interested in stepping on anyone's toes.

Why do you think I will step on anyones toes? First of all this
is a *suggestion* which not many people even care about (like
using UK or US english). Second I intend to talk to each author
of the documents before making any changes in their documents.

> If
> you could provide some more information about how the main doc team's
> structure and workflow has worked in the past, and any problem areas you
> had, now is a good time to consolidate responsibilities so that we can
> just make them a part of how we do business. It's important for people
> to be able to always see our efforts as helping out the entire T3
> community, rather than "taking over" a job. Other than that, if that's
> an offer, we'd be happy to accept. :)

I don´t know if there has ever been a workflow or structure for
documentation? That´s probably why I have been able to structure
the wiki according to my ideas and nothing has been done on the
typo3.org documentation pages for the past few years...  :-(
(My suggestion is to merge them into one structure with links
between typo3.org and the wiki...)

One problem area I´ve had is that everyone who want to
participate in the documentation effort, just want to work with
their own things. If their ideas isn´t in accordance with the
community or docTeam, they either do it their own way anyway or
do nothing at all. :-(

Another problem area is that since noone "rules" this community,
everything you do, could be undone just over night if some
people suddenly decides they want to change things. That means
you can only do than small changes, because big changes are
often scary to people - thus not wanted. Or you have to have
enought people supporting your idea - with that you can change
everything, even to the worse!

I wish you luck with this improving effort!

-----

If you in the future want to offer your costumers a well
structured documentation, written for beginners, covering all
common parts of *using* Typo3 and updated regulary by the
community (not by separate individuals), you can contact me! ;-)

And BTW, the wiki pages are just an *working area*. When the
restructuring is finished, the text may be put back into SXW
documents.

/Peter Kindström