[Typo3-doc] Greetings from the US

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Mon Oct 17 04:12:13 CEST 2005

Hi Peter,

Peter Kindström wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>

>>No, actually the opposite. The goal is to only make corrections that
>>will make the documentation more "US-friendly" for the US marketing
>>efforts. Little things like spelling "color" rather than "colour" or not
>>capitalizing non-proper nouns are sometimes subtleties that can make a
>>difference when trying to sell an American on a product. So our intent
>>is only to review the docs to make them more US-English for marketing,
>>and provide them for all to enjoy. We don't want to duplicate efforts,
>>but play a supporting role in the entire T3 marketing efforts.
>>

>Sounds good, even if I don´t know what people in the community
>thinks about US-English documentation...  ;-)

I think it depends on *who* in the community you're talking about! :)

But it seems like the consensus is within the current community it
doesn't make much of a difference, so long as it is all spelled
correctly, and all in at least ONE version of English. ;)

>The only problem is that there is no active docTeam right now! I
>am not in the docTeam, but have up until now kept an eye on the
>wiki and bugtracker (the documentation project).
>
>But I have decided to quit, so my best advice to you is to speak
>with each of the document authors. That had to be done anyway,
>because the docTeam never had anything to do with the documents
>on typo3.org. :-(

Well hmmm.. that does pose a problem, and I wish you well on whatever
you move on to. I have already communicated with Wolfgang Becker, who
does the Advanced Banner Management plugin, and he was very happy for
the translation help. He put up my edit in the TER as *the* manual. So I
hope all of the ones we do are so well-received. I am working on a
workflow so that we can keep everyone in the loop and make sure to meet
the needs of the developers as well as potential customers. Don't know.
If you decide you'd like to help out in the future, let me know, we can
always use the participation.

>-------
>
>You´re not interested in structuring / reorganising
>documentation at the same time? I have an idea that Typo3 should
>have some sort of "official documentation". The idea is to take
>some of the most important/existing documents today and
>- move some information (to other documents, new documents or
>inside documents)
>- add/complete some documents
>- rewrite some information to suit non-developers
>- maybe add some completely new documents
>
>Maybe sounds like a big job, but I don´t think it has to be. I
>have a suggestion at http://www.infolagret.se/typowiki/ which
>could be a good start. Interested?
>

>/Peter Kindström

Well.. let's just say I am not interested in stepping on anyone's toes.
There's a tremendous amount of work that's already been done, and our
intent is to provide some volunteer resources, to meet whatever needs we
can. If the doc team is in need of a new (or simply "improved")
structure or organization, then we can help with the coordination of
that effort. I think that T3 should, globally, have a system that
accommodates the needs of all of the markets, and that wiki is a good
start. At the moment, the US team is setting up our structure, so our
workflow in the doc team is still being worked out on a few levels. If
you could provide some more information about how the main doc team's
structure and workflow has worked in the past, and any problem areas you
had, now is a good time to consolidate responsibilities so that we can
just make them a part of how we do business. It's important for people
to be able to always see our efforts as helping out the entire T3
community, rather than "taking over" a job. Other than that, if that's
an offer, we'd be happy to accept. :)

Alex