[Typo3-doc] How to get started? Analyses of the steep learning curve

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Sat Nov 12 16:07:04 CET 2005

Hi JoH and Peter,
>>A new "Getting started" should follow the KISS principle which means: You
>>should focus on the basics and leave complex things like TV to the "Advanced
>>TYPO3 concepts" tutorial.

I think you missed one big point: TV is not complex to use
compared to TypoScript!

But I guess when you already know TypoScript (like you two?),
then TV is not as good as TS. And technically I guess TV is more
complex, but the user does not have to know that (and that´s the
point I guess).

> Starting with TV without GoLive-Tut or MTB knowledge is like buliding a
> plane without having ever glued two pieces of paper together.

Ooops, I guess my exitsing website does not work then? :-)
Of course you need MTB right now, because FTB rely on that. But
I have never read the GoLive Tutorial and just a minute ago my
website worked just great (as it have done the last year...).

So please, don´t assume everybody else must do things the way
you always have done! People are different and things change!

> That's my experince from guiding a lot of beginners in workshops and
> projects. The autoparser is a nice thing, but only needed if you
> constantly get HTML brought in by somebody who you are not willing to
> teach the very simple principle of a CMS, that some ### will get
> replaced dynamically.

Hmmmm, have you ever tried to teach some beginners TV instead?
So you have something to compare with?

/Peter Kindström