[Typo3-doc] Page numbering

Matthew Manderson matthew at manderson.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 11:57:22 CET 2005

Maybe it is only me but, in several of my printed docs the contents page
numbers do not tally with the actual page numbers.

eg.

TypoScript Oct 5 2002 contents say that 'PHP include scripts' is at page 184
when in fact it is at 179.

So by calling 'PHP include scripts' say '13. PHP include scripts' and
marking each section in the docs with 12, 13 etc. It is easy to scan the
pages and find the section you need. Section 13 will always be after 12 and
before 14. Whereas relying on page numbering means when formatting or
additions forces a page over to another the author needs to go back and re

This has the the additional problem of different versions having different
page numbers so there is no consistent references across the versions of
docs.

Going back to why it is a 'serious' although I would not call it that. Is
this.

I need to find out about cObject TEXT and the content pages says it is at
page 87. So I look on page 87 and I see COBJ_ARRAY instead.

Not very helpful.

The second reason is there is no easy way of jumping fromm offline docs .sxw
to online docs and finding the same section.

How does that sound?

Matthew