[Typo3-doc] Wiki people: who's on board now?

Matteo Anceschi manceschi at arscolor.com
Thu Nov 3 18:15:14 CET 2005

Hi Peter,

thank you for your attention :)

Il 03/11/05 17.35, Peter Kindström ha scritto:
> Hi,
> This have all been discussed before and we came to no clear
> conclusion. Mostly it is up to the current active people in this
> list / in the wiki to make what they want...  :-(
> Unless something happens that makes the "top management" guys
> interested in this.

This is really a problem in my opinion (and surely it has been for you).
So we have to try to gain attention...hmm we have perhaps to wait the
next year, after 4.0 release? :(

> But I can give you some feedback on old discussions mixed with
> my own ideas:
>
> * It all begun with the wiki as *a workspace* for documents and
> the docTeam. We never solve the problem about how to manage
> (versions etc) finished documents.

Perhaps I don't understand.. by "finished documents" you mean a complete
document written by someone?
Because I imagine all pages on a wiki as result of little (or big)
adjustments or addings, I'm not really thinking about verioning...I have
to study more the existing wiki, perhaps.

> * The wiki has big advantages
>  - it is easy to write there
>  - it is easy to let many people contribute/work together

Yes! :)

> * And it has disadvantages
>   - spam
>   - hard to control
>   - no download possibilities
>   - maybe not so nice looking printout

I think the hard one is "hard to control": every wiki has to have a very
good structure, or thing collapse quickly.

> * There have been plans to upgrade the MediaWiki version for a
> long time now...

Ah good..so it's not my own thinking :)

> * Instead of trying to get the grip of all the wiki and all the
> documents on typo3.org, you should concentrate on a smaller
> part. Make some sort of official documentation for Typo3.
>
> * I think we also should concentrate on english documentation.
> Otherwise the task will be HUGE...

Yes, I definietely agree.
First, find a model to organize and do thing.
Second, apply that on a small part.
Third, think about english first, other language will come.
Fourth, try to enlarge the work (and hope for ohers contributors)

> * My idea was to "integrate" the wiki and typo3.org
> documentation pages in some way. First by having the same
> structure and second by starting to link between them.

And what happened of this idea? In your opinion is still good (after the
doc-team work in these years), or we have to search for another solution
just now? (I'm trying to understand if you've others considerations
about this)

> * I don´t think TIMTAW is ready to replace the wiki yet. There
> are some usability issues left. It has to be as easy as a wiki
> to be useful!

Yes, this consideration is also mine.
I've never played with TIMTAW, sincerely :(

> * Don´t abandon the wiki until you have a replacement that is
> proven to be as good as, or better, than the existing wiki !!!

Definitely agree.

> My 2 cents!
>

> /Peter Kindström

Thank you again,