[Typo3-doc] Wiki people: who's on board now?

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Thu Nov 3 19:37:25 CET 2005

Hi Matteo,
>> Unless something happens that makes the "top management" guys
>> interested in this.
>
> This is really a problem in my opinion (and surely it has been for you).
> So we have to try to gain attention...hmm we have perhaps to wait the
> next year, after 4.0 release? :(

Have you read the "The Right Crew" discussion in the dev list?
Maybe if someone really have the ideas and stamina to do this,
Kasper and/or the T3A board would listen and give that person
"commission" to start...?

>> * It all begun with the wiki as *a workspace* for documents and
>> the docTeam. We never solve the problem about how to manage
>> (versions etc) finished documents.
>
> Perhaps I don't understand.. by "finished documents" you mean a complete
> document written by someone?

Yes, a wiki page that has been finished and is ready to use.
Version 1.0 or simular.
I think this new MediaWiki "patrolling" feature would be a
little help, but my thoughts has always been to work like this:
 1. Create the document on the wiki
 2. When it´s ready, copy to OOo document version 1.0
 3. Continue work/improve/comment on the wiki
 4. When enought improvments have been made, copy to OOo
document version 1.1 or 2.0
 5. ...and so on

The problem is copying from wiki to OOo. Not impossible with is
we have a smaller amout of official documents, but hard to do if
the number increase.  :-(
I´m still waiting for a MediaWiki -> OOo converstion tool...

> Yes, I definietely agree.
> First, find a model to organize and do thing.
> Second, apply that on a small part.
> Third, think about english first, other language will come.
> Fourth, try to enlarge the work (and hope for ohers contributors)

Absolutely my idea too!
But most(?) people are not patient or structured enought to work
that way. They want to do it NOW - and THEIR OWN way.  ;-)

Organising is boring and difficult (for most people) and if
someone else do it, the result is often not like they wanted it
to be, so they disappear.  :-(

Ok, maybe too much irony, but I have experienced something
simular at work when trying to get four different apartment's
documents into one structure. My suggestion was often "good, but
it doesn´t suite us"!

And the conclutions: You most have the "top management" guys on
your side and have their support when people start arguing.
Otherwise you can´t make any bigger, lasting changes.

>> * My idea was to "integrate" the wiki and typo3.org
>> documentation pages in some way. First by having the same
>> structure and second by starting to link between them.
>
> And what happened of this idea? In your opinion is still good (after the
> doc-team work in these years), or we have to search for another solution
> just now? (I'm trying to understand if you've others considerations
> about this)

Nothing. I never got that far. And I had the feeling that Robert
did not like the idea of me "getting into" typo3.org. But I
think I was wrong on that!

Instead I spent some time during this summer to write down my
thoughts about the Typo3 documentation. I have now published it
for others to continue...?
 http://www.infolagret.se/typowiki/index.php/Vision

/Peter Kindström