[Typo3-doc] The wiki is more organised now!

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Mon Apr 18 19:44:43 CEST 2005

Hi Daniel and list!
> I'd like to help you with categorizing. Just tell me, what your plan is.

Here is my idea:
* All subpages you reach directly from the (Draft) Main Page are
called "section pages" and belong to the Category:Section.
(http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Category:Section)

* Then every Section page has its own category, like
Category:Getting started or Category:Extensions.
(http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Special:Categories)

* Every wiki page (except the Main page) is linked from (at
least) one section page and thus belong to that section´s category.

This is the basic categorisation - every page should belong to a
"section category"! These "section categories" exists today:
* About documentation
* Extensions
* Getting started
* Help and tips
* Project
* Section

And these are still missing:
* Editor
* Administrator
* Developer
* Accessibility
* Typo3.org
* T3board

(I also made the section category "FAQ", but I think I made it
in the wrong "place". It should be a subcategory of the Help and
Tips category, but I have not made it that way...)

It is not forbidden to have a page belonging to more than one
category (like some of the section pages). BUT, at least one of
the categories have to be the section category!

Another thing is that these section categories are put into
pages via Templates! The template provide three things:
# Link back to the section page
# Edit link for the first part of the page
# The Category

The work with the templates are not finished, but some of them,
plus an short explanation, can be found at
http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/User:Peter#Wiki_templates

> This is what I applied to the wiki some months ago:
>
> * for all meta-pages (docTeam): the cat "DocTEAM"
> * for users: the cat "ForBeginner" or "ForDeveloper"
> * as collection: the cat "Extensions" with some subcats like we have in
> typo3.org-matrix

Yes, we should have more categories. My categories are mostly
based on "type of user": Getting started (newbie/all), editor,
admin and developer. This could be completed with skill level
(Beginner, Intermediate, Expert) and/or type of document
(Tutorial, Reference, Example, Best practice, Manual, Faq, HowTo
etc)

There could also be categories like Accessability, Usability,
UserGroup etc

But for now I don´t think we should have categories for
different types of extensions, simply because we don´t know what
categories are needed (or coming in the new "doc.typo3.org" web
site). When we get them, they should look like "ExtNnnnnn".

> We need to define where the cat-definition has to be - in the top of the
> page or at the end.

At the top I think. Simple because I have started putting them
there...  :-)
And in ordinary documents you often start the document with some
admin info like version, change log, writer etc. We should do
the same here, I think. Something like this is what I would like
in the future: http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Windows

-------

Hmm, now I see categories can be put into an hierarcy... I
haven´t done that and I am not sure we need it either? We have
this hierarcy via the Main page and the Section pages, which I
think is better (because we can describe the links to the pages
better).

Right now I suggest a "flat" category listing. Is it possible to
move them into a hierarcy later on?

Otherwise we maybe should have a few hierarcies, like one for
* Type of document
* Skill level
* Type of user
* Other

I really don´t know... have to think about it a little! Lets
discuss this a little more!

/Peter Kindström