[Typo3-doc] DocTEAM goals discussion

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Mon Oct 25 18:42:09 CEST 2004

Hi all,
> Peter, does the order of the suggestion goals you propose have an
> importance ?

No.

> # organize and review existing documentation
>
> Would be hold in http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Document_Matrix, right ?

Depends on the definition of "documentation". I think it should
include ALL documents - even wiki pages, web pages (typo3.org)
and normal OOo documents. Even FAQ, Glossay and CSH...

> # help people to find/use the documentation
>
> Our day to day job, redirecting them to the FAQ, writing some new page
> to collect content about what is said about a special topic. Example:
> source code profiling, which was a failure, because nobody has completed
> the page. :-(
> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/TYPO3_sourcecode_profiling

> # analyse the need for new documentation
>
> Why do we need to analyze this need ? It comes naturally when a topic is
> undocumented. We don't have time to analyze more than we do, right ? How
> would it help ?

Just because it is natural, doesn´t mean we shouldn´t mention
it, right!  ;-)
IMHO it is very important to do this every time you add
information somewhere. You should ask yourself:
  - Is this the right/natural place for the info?
  - If not, is there a better place or should we make a new place

> # organize and support the work on new and existing documentation
> # maintain the overall documentation structure
>
> Both are the same thing, even including the first Item, no ?

No!
The first is to organise *the work* and the other it to organise
*the documents*. Different things, I think...
The first is beeing the boss and the other to be the librarian...

> - php tools writing (ex: correcting broken documentation stuff, like NG
> search, extension search, FAQ/HOWTO duplicate, ...)

Not something the the DocTeam do on a regular basis, I think.
When it´s needed then you should ask programmers to do it for
you as a project.

> - propose and develop an interface (TYPO3 extension, website, etc.) to
> easier extension documentation

Also just a project to get *a tool* to be able to fulfill:
  # organize and support the work on new and existing documentation

> - document translation

Yes, missed that! But maybe:
  # organize the work with translating documents

Because I don´t think the DocTeam have to *do* everything, just
see to it that it is beeing done (=responsible). You have the
Documentation group for that...?

> - collect any document information (newsgroup, mailing list, forum,
> tutorial, etc.)

Well, isn´t this only
?

> - better printable manual, with less wasted white space, keyword index,
> references, picture cation, etc.

The goals should not be to precise. You should have a roadmap or
todo list for that...

--

/Peter Kindström