[Typo3-doc] [Translation]

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Sat Nov 27 13:26:42 CET 2004

Hi JoH,
>>Isn´t it *one* manual that gets produced in your last example?
>>In different languages yes, but still the same manual, right?
>
> Replace "manual" with "file" ... (another example how a word written by a
> non native speaker can be misunderstood)

???
The number of files is totally uninteresting! It is the number
of manuals that counts - and you still only get *one* in your
example.

BTW: Haven´t you ever misunderstod a person when discussing /
mailing in your native language?

> Well - let's take myself as an example: I can write English posts that are
> understandable (thanx to dict.leo.org) but I'm far from claiming that I
> would be able to write a professional manual in English. I am much better
> (and even faster) when writing in German. So if I am forced to write it in
> English this is a waste of resources. There is a big difference between
> something that's just OK and something that is professional. Since TYPO3 is
> presented as a professional CMS for enterprise purposes a client can expect
> professional manuals that meet enterprise requirements. If he doesn't get
> such manuals this will prove those people right that always complain about
> the lack of professionalism in most open source projects. One of the first
> arguments against open source when asking people who sell commercial
> software is: You don't get professional manuals so you will have to struggle
> your way through the property-jungle.

Ok, so you still assume that all german writers write bad
english manuals. Well, I haven´t seen it, but you maybe have
some facts to proof it?

As far as I have seen in the Typo3 community, the quality of
documentation has nothing to do with the writers native
language, but with the writing skills of the writer.

And I also think that your demands for a 100% professional Typo3
documentation is a little bit unrealistic. If you don´t pay a
professional translator/writer to do it...

>>Hmm, I think Kasper also has a very clear view of this... I
>>think his opinion is that english is the main language for Typo3...
>
> OK - but the fact that English is the main language just states that all
> documents have to be translated _or_ written in English. AFAIK Kasper
> doesn't care if the original manual is written in Hebrew as long as there is
> someone who translates it into English so that other translators can use
> this version as a working base.

True. But sorry if I repeat myself: We do not have the resourses
for translation right now. You agreed on that in the last post,
so here we are...

I really hope this will change, because your "ideal" world is
nice - every manual in every language. And also perfecly
written!  ;-)

--

/Peter Kindström