[Typo3-doc] [Translation]

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Fri Nov 26 22:35:09 CET 2004

>> Well - I guess you didn't understand what I said so I will explain
>> it again:
>>
>> If we do it the way you want it we have the following workflow:
>> 1. German writer --> produces bad English --> 1,5 days
>> 2. English writer does a review/rewrite --> 0,5 days
>> 3. You get one well written English manual --> 2 days
>> Two people --> one manual --> two days
>>
>> If we do it my way:
>> 1. German writer --> produces good German --> 1 day
>> 2. English writer --> translates into good English --> 1 day
>> 3. You get two well written manuals in German _and_ English --> 2
>> days
>> Two people --> two manuals --> two days
>
> Isn´t it *one* manual that gets produced in your last example?
> In different languages yes, but still the same manual, right?

Replace "manual" with "file" ... (another example how a word written by a
non native speaker can be misunderstood)

>> Since we both agree that we don't have unlimited resources the second
>> approach is much more efficient.
>
> Consider this:
> 1. German writer --> produces ok English manual --> 1,5 days
> 2. English writer --> produces *another* manual --> 1 day
>
> And then suddenly we get TWO different manuals in 2,5 days. That
> is what I call using limited resources more efficient!
> (As you see, I don´t agree with you about german writers writing
> bad english documents.)

Well - let's take myself as an example: I can write English posts that are
understandable (thanx to dict.leo.org) but I'm far from claiming that I
would be able to write a professional manual in English. I am much better
(and even faster) when writing in German. So if I am forced to write it in
English this is a waste of resources. There is a big difference between
something that's just OK and something that is professional. Since TYPO3 is
presented as a professional CMS for enterprise purposes a client can expect
professional manuals that meet enterprise requirements. If he doesn't get
such manuals this will prove those people right that always complain about
the lack of professionalism in most open source projects. One of the first
arguments against open source when asking people who sell commercial
software is: You don't get professional manuals so you will have to struggle
your way through the property-jungle.

>> BTW: Maybe the new doc team leader should decide how to do it? - I
>> guess it's his job ... Silvain?
>
> Hmm, I think Kasper also has a very clear view of this... I
> think his opinion is that english is the main language for Typo3...

OK - but the fact that English is the main language just states that all
documents have to be translated _or_ written in English. AFAIK Kasper
doesn't care if the original manual is written in Hebrew as long as there is
someone who translates it into English so that other translators can use
this version as a working base.

Joey