[Typo3-doc] [Translation]

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Sat Nov 27 01:39:49 CET 2004

> let me ask a question then: What is the problem with the existing manuals
> for developers? IMHO most of them fit the needs of a developer perfectly
> well, assuming the reader has some experiences in web-developing. In fact
> there were only 5 or 6 docs I had to read to get 90% of my pages working and
> the only one I am still reading from time to time while developing is TSref.
> So if the doc team's focus is _not_ the end user, why do we need a doc team
> then?

You're absolutely right to ask that question. Why is there a need to do
anything because most of us agree that there is pretty much everything
documented that can be documented.

To answer that question I simply watch the NGs. Questions after
questions that are already answer. Even I keep asking questions that are
answered somewhere. I just couldn't find it and not because I was to
lazy to look just because I didn't know what to look for.

That is the purpose of the docTeam right now (careful: just my opinion).
To set up a structure that is more intuitive and restructre the docs
themselves (my approach would be to have one big document, but here I
disagree with quite a few people) so they provide their information in a
more accesible way.

My first goal would be to cut down the NG traffic and have those people
answere the questions in the NG take their new spare time and put it in
improving the documentation (updating, professionalizing etc.) up to the
point where we have a absolutely professional and maintanable
documentation of TYPO3 ready for new people to step into its world.

By making the documentations more professional the learniing curve for
TYPO3 should decrease steadily and end up at a level where more people
would allow themselves to work with TYPO3.

***********

As you can see, all this has nothing to do with the clients because no
client would want to install TYPO3 for himself (or else I would consider
him a client anymore).

I'm sure you saw my post about client documentation. I want to look at
this problem as a completely separate task that can be taken on by a
different team.

Things like structure, design, terminology should be shared of course
but other than that the teams could work seperate from each other
because one has to closely work with the developers and the other has to
closely work with the clients. Ones work is for the profit of people
working with TYPO3 trying to make a buck, others work is for the benefit
of the same people while selling their end product to their clients.

To me that is a win win situation and I'm glad I finally got what you
are talking about because otherwise I wouldn't have acknoledged that need.

Jean-Marie

PS: Maybe I should even thank that stupid law of yours but I just won't :-)