[Typo3-doc] [Translation]

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Fri Nov 26 23:42:10 CET 2004

> I'm sure those paying clients don't need all the documentations in
> order to use TYPO3. There will be only a small portion of very
> specific documentations that are of interest for the client.
>
 > And it shouldn't be a problem to have those 2 or 3 documentations up
> to date in many languages.
>

> But these
>> clients are the people that pay the money in the end and the first
>> question most of my clients asked me is: "Is this manual available
>> in German?" - in many cases I had to tell them: "not yet, but they
>> are working on it" ...
>

> What documentations are they talking about?

At least there must be a manual for each extension that is used by simple
backend editors. This can be anything from a simple guestbook up to a huge
tt_products based shopsystem. And we are talking about much more than just 2
or 3 documents. It's not about the details or some special TS-setup. It's
just about the basic Howtos ... - How do I create and send a direct mail? -
How do I maintain posts on tt_board? - How do I enter additional tracking
information?  - If you point those people to typo3.org the first thing they
notice is: "This is all written in English - can I get those manuals in
German, please?"

If we are talking about "Core APIs" or "Inside TYPO3" Peter may be right
when he says it's not necessary to have them translated now. But the end
user (that is an editor in most cases) depends on manuals that are easy to
understand and written in his native language. And in Germany (and other
countries too) he has the right to insist on translated manuals. If the
consultant is not able to deliver them in time, the client can refuse to pay
for the service or at least cut the amount of money down until he gets what
he wants.

This might be one of the reasons why mittwald medien released their own
German manual for developers beside the fact that they used it to promote
their own hosting service.

Joey