[Typo3-doc] [Translation]

Albrecht Mühlenschulte typo3 at muehlenschulte.de
Thu Nov 25 01:23:48 CET 2004

At first, hallo to everyone,

I am new to this group, and I am one of the often mentioned volonteers
*g*. IMHO, it is very helpful, that there is a main language. I, myself,
prefer english documentation over everything else, eventhough english is
not my native language.

Whenever I touched a piece of (Opensource) Software, I almost always
found the english documentation being much better than the german one.
Translation mostly makes things wired (good example: running Debian with
german locals just gives me the creeps ... and that is not, because the
translation would be done badly, it is, because most technical terms
concerning computers simply ARE english, not translating them leads to
some kind of denglish, translating them leads to something that has to
be translated again in order to be understood).

It is very kind to translate texts into other languages, but it should
have the lowest priority possible. If someone wants to write his
documentation in another language than english it should be translated
(in coordination with the writer) into english as fast as possible.

To be honest: howmany percent of the TYPO3 admins and developers do you
think are not able to understand english? Are there statistics about how
often Pages in which languages are requested?

I think we should "forget" (at least at the beginning of the process),
that there are other languages but english and get some things done (in
the english wiki and the english documentation).

Just my 2cents,
	Albrecht

PS: maybe we should have a look at the gnome-project (or any other lager
project) and how they handle their documentation and translation processes.