[Typo3-doc] [Translation]

Sylvain Viart sylvain at ledragon.net
Fri Nov 26 07:04:23 CET 2004

Hi,

Thanks for your posing on this topic.

I've now a better idea of what to do with TYPO3 documentation translation.

I'm also asking Kasper and other main TYPO3 team, how translation should
be handled for TYPO3 documentation.

Albrecht Mühlenschulte wrote:

> Whenever I touched a piece of (Opensource) Software, I almost always
> found the english documentation being much better than the german one.

I see your point, I must admin, I also prefer to buy or read english
manual, instead of French one. :-)

> I think we should "forget" (at least at the beginning of the process),
> that there are other languages but english and get some things done (in
> the english wiki and the english documentation).

Ok, I see your point.

I will collect some proposition about the translation process one the
Wiki page Alternative_Language
http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Talk:Alternative_Language

My proposition is:

- English is the main priority language for documentation.
- If you can write in english, do it and ask for grammar and spell checking.
- If you are foreign speaker and have written a text in your native
language, ask for english translation.
- Translation workflow from english to foreign language, must be
established first, please offer your talent to something else.
- If you really need to translate a manual now, ask the DocTEAM for help.

What do you think about that ?

> PS: maybe we should have a look at the gnome-project (or any other lager
> project) and how they handle their documentation and translation processes.

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/
Nothing interesting at first sight. :-(
--
Regards,