[Typo3-doc] [Translation]

Sylvain Viart sylvain at ledragon.net
Wed Nov 24 17:02:59 CET 2004

Hi,

This thread come from the post:
> [Typo3-doc] Problems around the writing process
http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-project-documentation/2004-November/001087.html

It's about TYPO3 documentation translation.

> [Translation]
>
> I have to say that the recent development about translating documents is
> worrying me. I don't thinks it's wise a this point to focus on anything
> but english, till we are set and structured and ready to translated
> (which is far away from now).

As Peter say, I still disagree.

I can't admit I must stop someone effort just because the document is
not ready. I can't say: «no, you must do it in english first....»

But I now agree, that the translation must be done by native speaker
only of the destination language. I also agree about the fact that
native speaker can write documentation in their native language and ask
for english translation.

That's why currently the Wiki is not «mirrored» in other language
section. Each section has its own structure right now. As the Wiki
structure will progress I will drive the other language structure.

With the help of native speaker of course. :-)

> I fear that a lot of work that is done will not last long and be a waste
> of time where it could be put into building the foundation of an
> everlasting documentation process concept.

I think you are right about this, point. An english speaker, native or
not, should now help us with the structure first. *If* it's his intension.

What if he want only help for translation ?

> I rather have anyone who is willing to give to reconsider doing
> something else for the moment till translation will be able to be made
> or put him/her on hold.

For volunteer, hold = lost. No ?

Now what I can propose, is to have an official translation process.

We could also use:
http://typo3.org/extensions/translators/

Does someone knows how translation are handled in TYPO3 generally ?
--
Regards,
Sylvain Viart -- TYPO3 DocTEAM.