[Typo3-doc] [Wiki to SXW] and [Writing Tool]

Sylvain Viart sylvain at ledragon.net
Wed Nov 24 16:16:31 CET 2004

Hi,

This thread come from the post:
> [Typo3-doc] Problems around the writing process
http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-project-documentation/2004-November/001087.html

It's about Wiki to SXW conversion tool and DocTEAM writing tools.

Here's my position on the Wiki as Documentation writing tool. Also
regarding the recent exchange about multiple tool.

For now as documentation we have 2 official final format. The SXW and
the Wiki.

Of course, we could say the wiki in not a «final format» but mostly a
teamwork tool. May be... But I will say it's really working now. And
available online without nothing more than a web browser.

> The obvious problem with Wiki is: How do we get the content back to the
> docMatrix (on typo3.org).

Yes, I agree we need a fixed (staging) place where the document become
final. And obviously it should be the docMatrix (or its successor).

But the docMatrix couldn't stay as it is. As Peter said, we need
official document. And importing back the document in the Matrix when
they reach the final status in not only a «missing importer» problem.

So the current fix, seem to be to work on the docMatrix in the Wiki.
http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Document_Matrix

> Apparently such a converter is not easy to write and time consumming. So
> far there hasn't been anyone who stepped forward to provide such a tool.

The question is:

The DocTEAM should be responsible of finding fund and driving a
development of such converter ?

> [Writing Tool]
> We have to find a consense on the writing tool. Are we really sure that
> Wiki is the way to go? Aren't there any better tools that allow teamwork
> and already have a converter for SXW.

As I proposed in the thread:

> [Typo3-doc] Documentation collaboration tool: Wiki, SXW, MS Word, other
http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-project-documentation/2004-November/001081.html

The tools are already defined: Wiki or SXW + DocTEAM for help.

I can't see any good reason to continue discussing about Writing tools.

The best would be to have a TYPO3 for contributor with a Wiki embedded
and document which could move from one state to another (Wiki open <->
TYPO3 content locked for edition). That's what I'm trying do develop
slowly and alone.

http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/SourceForge_docteam

Do you see any better (non) existing tool ?

> Or are we ready to drop the docMatrix and replace it with the Wiki?
> As long as we have to teams, one for the Wiki the other one for the
> docMatrix we won't come far.

I think the docMatrix has made its time. Since the beginning (November
2003) we were proposing change on the Matrix Patrick and me.

See the discussion [Structure] where I will post some content about that
topic.

> I do believe though that if we have a good structure for the docMatrix
> and the whole thing is available on the Wiki we won't have a hard time
> to find somebody who writes a conversion tool for Wiki2SXW and Wiki2PDF.

Yes I agree.

May be we should start witting that converter as soon as possible, not
in the way defined by Robert, but as a standalone tool ?

--
Regards,
Sylvain Viart -- TYPO3 DocTEAM.