[Typo3-doc] [Wiki to SXW] and [Writing Tool]

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Wed Nov 24 18:57:42 CET 2004

>> Apparently such a converter is not easy to write and time consumming. So
>> far there hasn't been anyone who stepped forward to provide such a tool.

That problem relates to my question about Wiki being the right tool or not.

> The DocTEAM should be responsible of finding fund and driving a
> development of such converter ?

I don't think so. Our job should be to write (including structure) and
of course ask for such a tool. I also can't see why such a tool should
be funded at all. What about all the hours that are put in writing
doucmentations? Would they be funded too? I don't think so.

Such a tool should be written because there is an interest for the TYPO3
community to have such a tool, not because it is funded.

> The tools are already defined: Wiki or SXW + DocTEAM for help.
>
> I can't see any good reason to continue discussing about Writing tools.

Since you already realize that it is not easy to write a Wiki2SXW tool
and it probably will not be written anytime soon, I think it's perfectly
ok and necessary to find a tool where we wouldn't need a converter.

I still get the feeling that you think this discussion is about OOo or
Word but it is not. It purely a question if Wiki is the right tool.

Personally, I think it is. I haven't found anything else that allows me
to start working right away in a team. That is a big plus  that might
overrate the converter problem.

Another question in that regard is the manual menu that is new to TYPO3
3.7.0. What is that supposed to be for in the near or far future. Could
it be that we will have the complete documentation available throught
the BE of TYPO3 that way? I think so. And we should consider that option.

> May be we should start witting that converter as soon as possible, not
> in the way defined by Robert, but as a standalone tool ?

I do consider it to be important but more than that a finalized
structure that acknowledges alle the existing documentation on the
docMatrix is necessary to make the right decission.

And there is the story about Design etc. (probably another thread).

Jean-Marie