[Typo3-doc] Problems around the writing process

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Tue Nov 23 18:26:41 CET 2004

Hi,
>> I'm not sure if anyone has tried take what we have in the docMatrix
>> and put it in one big document and restructer if from that point of
>> vies. I can't see that in the current structure or any of the onesthat
>> were proposed.

Now I get a little disappointed...  ;-)
Because this is *exactly* what I have been trying to do from the
very beginning!

And I think that if you look at my first wiki structure or the
Overall Document Structure page
(http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Overall_document_structure) you
can see that most documents (except extensions documents) are
there! And they are structured!

But noone(?) liked it, maybe because it was not exactly what
*they* wanted? And that´s the problem with a structure that
covers all documents - it will be a compromise. An a compromise
is by default something that does not suite anyone perfect...
:-)  :-)

>> Maybe it's worth structuring the docMatrix first (and only the
>> docMatrix) before do anything else.

My plans was to start implement the strucure on the wiki, write
some new documents there and remove outdated ones and then try
to change the typo3.org matrix to the same as the wiki. But I
never got that far...

>> [Writing Tool]
>> We have to find a consense on the writing tool. Are we really sure
>> that Wiki is the way to go? Aren't there any better tools that allow
>> teamwork and already have a converter for SXW.

I think wiki is good enought - IF you have a structure and
someone looking after the pages. But since this demands a lot of
people watching pages, we should concentrate our effort to a few
"official" documents...

>> Or are we ready to drop the docMatrix and replace it with the Wiki?

The wiki should be the working place, the docMatrix should only
hold "official" versions (proofread snapshots of the wiki page)
in SXW or PDF format.

>> As long as we have to teams, one for the Wiki the other one for the
>> docMatrix we won't come far.

The DocTeam should be responsible for the docMatrix. Shouldn´t
be too difficult since the CMS used is Typo3, or...?   ;-)

>> I do believe though that if we have a good structure for the docMatrix
>> and the whole thing is available on the Wiki we won't have a hard time
>> to find somebody who writes a conversion tool for Wiki2SXW and Wiki2PDF.

I agree! I have never seen the conversion as a big problem. I
have already tried to do a HTML to wiki converter (like Sylvains
VIM script) in PHP and it is not too complicated, I think.

>> [Translation]
>>
>> I have to say that the recent development about translating documents
>> is worrying me. I don't thinks it's wise a this point to focus on
>> anything but english, till we are set and structured and ready to
>> translated (which is far away from now).

I AGREE!!!
And I tried to say that to Sylvain, but he disagrees. And noone
else supported me in that discussion...  ;-)

No offense, but I must admit that I feel a little disappointed
when I read this. It feels like this is very much the same ideas
as I have tried to deliver (and defend) in this NG/ML now and
then. But I got very little support in those discussions...  :-(

--

/Peter Kindström