[Typo3-doc] DocTEAM leader vote OPEN

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sat Nov 13 13:07:54 CET 2004

Hi Peter,

>> To me it looks like the project seems to focus on inexisting problems.
>
> I have the opposite opinion!
> IMHO, this attitude that "If you have an idea and if you want to
> realize it, then go ahead" is not good for the community.
>
> I want to add "but first talk to the project leader to
> syncronise your work"

Yes, asking the project leader (who should know all that's going on inside
his project) seems ok.
But one should not waste his time in endless discussions with no result (I
do not mean the discussions with the PL, I mean the public discussions on a
mailing list). If you're sure it's the right thing, then do it.

> This "inexisting problem" make us users have 4-5 different
> installation manuals, 2-3 different forum extensions, 4-5 file
> manager extension and so on. And sometimes still none of them is
> fully working!

Yes, that's a real problem. But I was referring to the "inexisting problem"
that you (I don't mean you alone!) are taking the position of the PL too
important. To me, he's just a coordinator, that's all.

> The most strange thing is those extensions that just extends an
> existing extension (I think News+ is something like that?). Why
> not incorperate them into the existing extensions (as an
> configurable option, maybe) instead of making new ones?

Last week I spent some time build a team that builds a common Rich Text
Editor. Yes I know the problem.

> My vision is that this should not happen with the documentation
> and I think this is the most important task for a DocTeam
> leader! To syncronise the documentation effort!

Yes, so he's the synchroniser. What else did I say?

>> A leader should respect the comments of the team and not try to override
>> their ideas with a big veto.
>
> Hmmm, is that what you (and others) think I am doing? Try to
> override peoples ideas?

No, I it was just an example. Nothing personal.

> Well, I think *someone* has to stop endless discussions by
> suggesting a compromise that is good for *the community*. And
> yes, that sometimes ends up in decisions not good for a separate
> individual...

Well, yes that's another important task of a PL but it could also be me who
says that... ;-)

> And why not try to compromise? Of course you seldom get two
> people to agree 100% and that is where the team leader comes in.
> He/she listens to the arguments and them try to have the two
> agree on a compromise which is best for the community!

I think the problem of this team is that it was a team before there was a
structure.

Kasper started TYPO3 as a single work. There was nobody else who put him
back with tons of ideas and suggestions.

Years later, the TYPO3 source is solid and people who work on it take the
structure as it is.

So coming back on this topic - why do you start votings for a project leader
instead that both of you edit start a new Wiki page and design the
structure the way you think it's a real solution?

(Don't mix up "the structure" with "the Wiki structure"!)

Regards, michael
--
Want support? Please read the list rules first: http://typo3.org/1438.0.html