[Typo3-doc] DocTEAM leader vote OPEN

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Sat Nov 13 14:22:57 CET 2004

Hi Michael,
> Yes, that's a real problem. But I was referring to the "inexisting problem"
> that you (I don't mean you alone!) are taking the position of the PL too
> important. To me, he's just a coordinator, that's all.

Compare this to Kasper beeing the Typo3 core coordinator. I
think we both agree that task is not "just" a coordinator. IMHO
this coordinator role is this the main reason we still have
*one*, *quality* Typo3 core!

>>My vision is that this should not happen with the documentation
>>and I think this is the most important task for a DocTeam
>>leader! To syncronise the documentation effort!
>
> Yes, so he's the synchroniser. What else did I say?

You said:
"You as the leader should simply be the responsible man who can
be asked and who can exchange information between the TYPO3
"management" and the DocTeam."

You did not mention anything about syncroniser or coordinator
and since I think those are the most important leader tasks I
wanted to bring them up. But it seems like you agree with me on
that...?

>>Well, I think *someone* has to stop endless discussions by
>>suggesting a compromise that is good for *the community*. And
>>yes, that sometimes ends up in decisions not good for a separate
>>individual...
>
> Well, yes that's another important task of a PL but it could also be me who
> says that... ;-)

Sometimes yes, but sometimes someone with authority have to do
it. Compare with the boss at work: Usually he/she is just a
moderator, but sometimes he/she has to take a decision. In a
company this is a "natural" way to get things going, but on this
community people seems to hate the idea...  :-)  :-)

> I think the problem of this team is that it was a team before there was a
> structure.

Agree. But I thought we had a fair chance of "getting it right"
when this mailing list started. Then everything/everyone was
quite new and all we needed was someone that leading the work.

I think that should be the DocTeam leader and that is why I in
the beginning wrote some postings saying I thought we needed a
new DocTeam leader...

I still haven´t given this idea up, but I think we are at the
crossroad on Sunday...

> So coming back on this topic - why do you start votings for a project leader
> instead that both of you edit start a new Wiki page and design the
> structure the way you think it's a real solution?

The simple answer is: I want to make things clear (like
structure, guidelines, who is "in charge" and things like that)
*before* I start working. My experience is that work gets more
effective this way - and for me it is more fun working effective!

I think this community has many good programmers, writers etc -
we just need a few more capable coordinators to get Typo3
*really* great!!!

--

/Peter Kindström