[Typo3-doc] docBook

Christian Trabold trabold at mehrwert.de
Fri Nov 12 14:47:49 CET 2004

Hi Jean-Marie,

> I'd like to know more about docBook and where it's advantages are in
> terms of creating documentation and working in a team.
>
> I believe Ingmar has some insight on that product.
>
> Would you elaberate on that a little, please?
>
> Anyone else?

how great you mention DocBook here (thought the whole list is only about
wiki-stuff :)). DocBook is an issue I'm highly interested in, too.

So I took some _very little_ research and what I can tell you is this:

It seems to be quite ok for huge projects (eg. PHP uses it for
documentation). And there is a huge team behind each section of the
documentation (e.g. translation teams).

While surfing DocBook related sites, I recall I have read something
about 'teamwork' combined with CVS. And CVS is the way they do it on PHP.

Maybe you'll find this link to the PHP-Manual-Howto useful:

<http://www.php.net/manual/howto/chapter-framework.html>

Final quote is

"We use DocBook because it is so easy to generate several output formats
of our documents (HTML, PDF, Microsoft HTML Help, RTF, etc.), and is a
world standard way of storing structured technical information."

Enjoy!

Christian