[Typo3-documentation] New wiki structure

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Thu Jun 24 07:51:18 CEST 2004

Hello Sylvain

> I finally read all the message I received from this list. :-)

Oh my god. That must have taken you a while. :-)

> I'm a member of the documentation project, since November 2003, but
> curiously I discovered this mailinglist recently. :-(

You should have been notified. I was under the impression that Patrick
reached out to all the docTeam members.

@Patrick

Did you do that? If not, it would be a good idea to invite them by
e-mail to this NG = Newsgroup (I learned it's actually not a ML =
Mailing LIst). Maybe write a note at docteam.typo3.org if people still
hang out there.

> In December 2003, I've setup a mailing list too, but it wasn't at the
> right place, nor DocTEAM member were ready enough to use it.
>
> Never mind, I'm ok with that. :-)

At least, this one seems to work.

> But, as my other « community » activities, I see a lack of internal
> communication. :-\

Isn't that always the problem? But stick around. We'll get the hang of it.

> The person, who setup this list, should have subscribed all
> documentation's people listed on the documentation project page.

Michael (responsible for installation) has set us up with NG and I'm
really glad he did. I don't think it's in his job to make sure that all
the right people joing the NG.

That is our job to do.

> « The wiki for myself is a discovery. We're on something here! »
>
> ALARM is ringing !
>
> We should work as team, as our name suggest it. ;-)
> That means that people must be kept informed of our work. I mean DocTEAM
> members.

We are working as a team and since you read all the posts you know that
we discussed in great length about who is on the docTeam and who isn't.
There is even a New DocTeam table to sign on, if you still belong to the
doc team.

http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/About_the_Documentation#DocTeam_writers

I'm sorry you didn't get invited. That was not intended and a honest
mistake for sure. Please add yourself to the above list.

We try to find other members too.

> TYPO3 end users will *see* our work, when good available documentation
> will be published.

Yep.

> As we exchanged at the beginning, with Patrick Gaumond, we should not
> publish our work too fast, nor be in the front of the scene. Simply
> because the users will ask us to much question.
>
> Such question should be posted on the english newsgroup, in my opinion.
>
> We are documentation writer, not hotline support !

You are right. We are the ones desperatly in need of support. :-)

> - Some good internal communication tools
>
> For me this list is perfect, for that.

I agree.

> Plus, we also need to keep track of all collaborative work.
> wiki.typo3.org and docteam.typo3.org are the good places to document our
> internal progress.

Is docteam.typo3.org still up-to-date. Last entry of Patrick is from 10.
Nov. 2003.

> Wiki is for work in progress. DocTEAM's site is where people should be
> directed if they want to join the DocTEAM. Where all communication path
> about documentation should be listed. Where all documentation production
> process should be written.

IMHO that can be done with wiki too. I don't want to trash the docTeams
site but I don't see why we should keep two sites for the same purpose.

Again I was under the impression that docteam.typo3.org was dead.

>  Wiki -> SWX -> docteam.typo3.org -> proofreader -> typo3.org

I doubt that with wiki that is all necessary but I can learn. I see
something more like

Wiki -> many proofreaders -> typo3.org

> Should enduser, be invited to see work in progress ?

No, unless the writers needs feedback.

Jean-Marie

PS: Welcome again to our NG and somewhat team. I appreciate your input
and we hopefully find a way to reach a good end goal.