[Typo3-documentation] Let's get started

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Mon Jun 14 06:27:11 CEST 2004

>>1. Kasper, I assume you still prefer the 1-install-doc conzept?
>
> > Who is in charge of this document? And who is in charge of the
> documentation structure?

Whoever wants to be in charge I guess will go first. Do you want to be
in charge?

> Not to be rude, but do we always have to get permission from
> Kasper when we want to do something like this? Even if "we" take
> over writing/handling the document?

I think it wise to ask Kaspers opinion. We haven't even started yet and
I'd like to know what the creater of Typo3 thinks. I am newbie and not
an expert of Typo3. There may be things to consider and I don't think it
hurts to asked Kasper or anyone who is a long term Typo3 developer
because essentially it is a team effort.

I wouldn't want to ask Kasper for every little thing, no way. He needs
to focus on other things. But as I approached Michael about writing  and
install doc he asked Kasper

>>3. Wiki seems to be a fast way to build up a a knowledge base.
>>The question here is who will strucutre the information and how.
>

> I dont think this is a problem, because I see a wiki as a
> complement to the documentation - not an substitute! If there
> are good information on the wiki, we should copy that into the
> documentation.
>
> If we dont, then newbies really are getting a hard time looking
> for answers - documentation, FAQs, mailing lists _and_ wiki.

Do you think that splitting up documents help with that problem?

>>4. Should more than one person write on a documentation? If yes,
>>how? Is somebody going to help us setting up such a team system?
>
> > I think one editor per document is easiest to handle. But that
> does not work if the document gets soo big that not a single
> person can have the knowledge of all the subjects in the doc...

You are absolutely right. But (see my last post)

>>6. What about the videos. Do you think, a written documentation
>>is needed when we could make a video?
>
> > Yes, mostly because not everyone can download videos and that I
> dont think videos are good as references. But as tutorials they
> are great!

Aren't we talking about a tutorial for the installation process?

I agree if there are people that cannot download videos then written
documentations are needed.

Jean-Marie