[Typo3-documentation] Document guide

Johannes Reichardt info at gramba.tv
Wed Jul 28 20:00:03 CEST 2004

Peter Kindström wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Johannes wrote
> > Typo3 in a nutshell is just missing - the guide which directs
> > you so i can follow every step, the guide which says
> > "allright, you can do this and that with typo with this and
> > that way, but the most common and future-compatible way is
> > this and that"
>
> Why not start by making a new wiki page with your structure:
>  http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Documentation guide
>
> Then I can put a link to it in the Shortcut section of the Main page.
> Why do I suggest this and not want to alter the existing wiki
> structure? Because:
>
> * I believe your suggestion is more a guideline than a basic overall
> documentation structure. And like you wrote, we need a guide to the
> Typo3 documentation.

Well thats why i will not enter it, actually i wouldnt put it "just"
somewhere, once again some usability hidden somewhere in the *huge*
typo3 project but instead on the frontpage.

> * We can visually see if the structure is useful. And when you fill it
> with real documents/links we can test in in real life.

Ok thats a point. But why do we have to test it before we set it up?
Lets communicate it here and set it up afterwards - that way we have a
response and can improve it.

> * We also see that you really finish what you start and do not say
> "sorry, I have no time to finish this. (Sorry, I just had to... :-) :-) )

Ok. Good point ;) - i tend to bark louder then i bite. But actually i
would love to see just *something* happen - right now i feel with this
list "oh great, i can talk now but hey what for?" - i made a stylesheet
someone didnt like. i said yeah, there is ONE color in the body which
could be changed. Simple problems i couldnt solve and things that are a
matter of taste i can´t completly decide. But nothing happened. The
style with the better heading sizes etc.. was not set up, the whole
group was not able to check it out - the discussion is just between the
two people who feel like checking out that sheet. And if you finally
(when?) set it up there will be still someone unhappy. why not give room
for improvement? you have to throw a stone in the river so it gets
rounder and rounder by time.

> * In the future (when we have enought good documentation) we can
> probably switch the structures, so that we then aim at readers and the
> writers "goes into the background".
>
> What do you think? An acceptable compromise?

No, its showing once again the typo3-problem in general. Focusing on
expirienced *coders* first, trying to make it compatible with newbies
afterwards. If expirienced people cant use an easy structure for
newbies, who will then?

- Johannes