[Typo3-documentation] Wiki: Links to documentation on Typo3.org

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Fri Jul 23 06:31:02 CEST 2004

Hi Peter

>> AFAIK Kasper can't do that because typo3.org was not planned for lots of
>> editors...
>
> Does that mean you think we should change our goal with the wiki? From
> being a site for creating documentation to being a place which guides
> people to information / documentation about Typo3?
>
> As you know by now, I am not interested in making a wiki that is a
> substitute for typo3.org documentation pages or has total freedom...
>
> So what do you guys say? Keep it or change it?

I've never seen the Wiki as anything else but a substitute to typo3.org
(talking about the existing documents). Of course, only then when the
Wiki has proven itself.

1. to be easy to develop and maintain documents
2. to be easy for the user to find information
3. to be able to provide a form of offline document to download and print

For the transition period of a several till many months the links to the
OOo documents fill the information whole that the Wiki naturally has
till it is complete.

Some documents will probably not be translated into Wiki because they
are not needed or outdated. The question is, if we should transfer
necessary documents to Wiki that are OK as they are.

And that only makes sense if we decide at some point that the Wiki is
our main information source (as typo3.org/documentation is now)

*******

I don't believe we can decide yet if the Wiki will be that or not
because we only have started and can't really proof that it is a worthy
substitute to what we have now. We can see its potential and we have
proof of other Wikis that have stood time.

Here I agree with Ingmar that all we can show now is an overstructured
place on the internet that doesn't give much information (that's why I
think the whole discussion is too early to be made).

But once we filled that structure with valuable information I do believe
that we have outgrown the drawbacks of typo3.org and provide a platform
that is not only easy to maintain but also open to many volunteer
writers to extend it and therefore valuable teamwork.

Jean-Marie