[Typo3-documentation] Structuring first, writing later?

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Wed Jul 21 15:11:54 CEST 2004

Ingmar Schlecht wrote:

> Jean-Marie Schweizer wrote:
>
>>> The wiki is blowed up with pages that are basically empty, just
>>> containing a header or a link to a manual on Typo3.org.
>>

>> The has a structural purpose and doesn't hurt at all.
>

> So you'd like to structure everything first, and write the articles later?

Not so much, but I do structure before I start writing.

> Personally, I don't like that approach, because it seem only
> demotivating to me if there are so many empty articles that someone
> "planned" but never wrote.

Interesting, I haven't really seen it that way. To me it's the opposite,
it's actually motivating. I can see what I need to focus on.

> I would prefer a "natural way of growth", meaning that the wiki should
> currently be nearly EMPTY, and if someone writes an articles, the wiki
> will grow. We can think about structuring then. In the current state,
> the Wiki is IMHO overstructured.

Now seeing where you are coming from I understand why you think that way.

> As a compromise, I would create a page "planned articles" that lists all
> the planned and work in progess articles that are not to written to a
> usable extent yet.

Honestly, I don't think I am going to add anything there, just because I
know I am not goin to keep it maintained. But if I really must, I can
get rid of those empty pages and keep them on a little note next to my
computer.

IMHO it's a little backwards but if you're not the only one that feels
that way I'm happy to do it.

I still think that this whole discussion about overstructured is little
too early in the game. It's like judging the work of one of my
programmers when he just started on a project management tool by
creating the framework with nothing in it.

Jean-Marie