[Typo3-documentation] Structuring first, writing later?

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Wed Jul 21 15:26:28 CEST 2004

>>> The wiki is blowed up with pages that are basically empty, just
>>> containing a header or a link to a manual on Typo3.org.
>>
>> The has a structural purpose and doesn't hurt at all.
>
> So you'd like to structure everything first, and write the articles later?

Yes, that is IMHO the best way to get quality instead of
quantity....

And IMHO Typo3 already have enought quantity - both when it
comes to extensions and documentation! But what I think Typo3
need is more structure and quality. (Of course there are
exceptions! I speak in general - and personal - terms now!)

> Personally, I don't like that approach, because it seem only
> demotivating to me if there are so many empty articles that someone
> "planned" but never wrote.

But you want it to be easy to make new pages just by clicking a
link in TER?
Isn´t it so that if we _plan_ what pages there should be then we
know that someone cares about them? And in that way we don´t get
a lot of empty pages?

BTW _is_ this a problem with the wiki today? If so, we really
should concentrate on filling those pages and maybe even
restrict possibility to create new pages?
And not letting the wiki grow in a natural way...

It also looks like some of the empty pages is a way for the
writer (read Jean-Marie) to structure his on work in progress. I
really think we should let him do it his own way, when it comes
to this kind of details. But of course we will keep an eye on
him, so that he fills the pages with information some day! :-)  :-)

> I would prefer a "natural way of growth", meaning that the wiki should
> currently be nearly EMPTY, and if someone writes an articles, the wiki
> will grow. We can think about structuring then. In the current state,
> the Wiki is IMHO overstructured.

I disagree! We just prevent people from putting their links on
the main page and force them to decide what type of document
they will write (tutorial, reference etc) and for what target
group (user/admin/dev).

--

/Peter Kindström, DocTEAM