[Typo3-documentation] Wiki: Links to documentation on Typo3.org

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Tue Jul 20 16:00:17 CEST 2004

Ingmar Schlecht wrote:

> Hi dudes,
>
> The front page of http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Main_Page has many
> links, that just point to finished manuals on Typo3.org.
>
> Why that?

It makes sense to do that if somebody follows a link from e.g. Google
without checking at typo3.org first. We want to provide finished
documents that could have the information in it that he looks for.

The Wiki is young and it will take some time till we have some articles
that finished and approved. For the time being the links help the user
to find a whole document rather than a patch work.

> To me that seems rather confusing...
> I'd prefer a clean and mean front page having only links to documents
> existing IN THE WIKI and HAVING CONTENTS.
>
> Perhaps a seperate page could be dedicated to "missing documents", but
> they should IMHO not be mixed with the links to existing documents in
> the Wiki.

This is matter of taste, I guess. Peter worked mainly on the document
structure and I believe Patrick helped out too. I'm sure there is a
bigger picture behind this.

> IMHO having so many links that point to "uninteresting" wiki pages (e.g.
> pages just containing links to typo3.org) keeps the users from seeing
> the good wiki pages. So if we there would be fewer uninteresting links
> on the front page, more people would look at the (few) existing
> documents and help improving it.
>
> I think if typo3.org is still the main hub of documentation, the wiki
> doesn't have to have links to that.

I think it does if the user comes to the Wiki first.

> > In my eyes, the Wiki is just a tool to create documentation, and should
> not necessarily be the guide in the jungle of Typo3 documentation.

Why not. Of course, I can't be now since we only started but what if we
have pretty much all the necessary subjects in the Wiki and are able to
convert it to a document for offline reading and printing, why should we
keep the other documents?

Not only development is much faster and easier to work within a team but
also maintenance is much better that it is with any static format.

> What's your opinion on that?

I think it is important to realize where Wiki is at right now.: it's
still in a development state. But the potential is recognizable and with
wikipedia.org we have a popublar example as it could be for TYPO3.

> Excuse me if you've already discussed that, I didn't follow all the
> posts in here.

I actually thank you to take your time to give us feedback. It is
certainly appreciated. We do need feedback and critizism even if it's
just to make our point. :-) But together we should be able to some up
with something useful.

Jean-Marie