[Typo3-documentation] Wiki: Links to documentation on Typo3.org

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Tue Jul 20 23:15:48 CEST 2004

> The front page of http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Main_Page has many
> links, that just point to finished manuals on Typo3.org.
>
> Why that?

I think what Typo3 lacks most when it comes to documentation is
structure! So the first thing we did was deciding on a common
structure suitable for _all_ Typo3 doc. And the easies way of
showing this structure to everyone was to implement in as the
main structure on the wiki.
It is also meant to be a guide for new contributors when they
want to add a new document - in that way we have a better
chance to keep the wiki well structured even in the future.

> To me that seems rather confusing...
> I'd prefer a clean and mean front page having only links to documents
> existing IN THE WIKI and HAVING CONTENTS.

You got a point, but the empty pages are marked with "no
content". And  I don't agree that the wiki structure should
just contain links to wiki pages - I think it should contain
links to ALL Typo3 documents (except extension manuals, right
now).

> IMHO having so many links that point to "uninteresting" wiki pages (e.g.
> pages just containing links to typo3.org) keeps the users from seeing
> the good wiki pages. So if we there would be fewer uninteresting links
> on the front page, more people would look at the (few) existing
> documents and help improving it.

I think that information and news articles in the new groups
about DocTEAM, wiki and our projects, give us more helping
hands than a main wiki page with fewer links... :-) And with a
good, consistenet structure I dont think people will have a
hard time finding the documents they need?

> I think if typo3.org is still the main hub of documentation, the wiki
> doesn't have to have links to that.
>
> In my eyes, the Wiki is just a tool to create documentation, and should
> not necessarily be the guide in the jungle of Typo3 documentation.

True, but since typo3.org has a bad structure (IMHO) and the
possibilty to change that is small, we have to have that guide
somewhere - and right now the wiki is the only alternativ! If
you don't have other ideas, of course?

In the future, if we produce some great documents and get most
Typo3 documents into an easy to understand structure, I believe
things will change...

> Excuse me if you've already discussed that, I didn't follow all the
> posts in here.

It ok! It is always interesting to hear what people think about
things...

--

/Peter Kindström, DocTEAM