[Typo3-documentation] Wiki->SXW - How far are we?

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Mon Jul 19 20:24:54 CEST 2004

I understand Jean-Marie´s concern, but since I like structuring
things, I think this is a problem that can be solved quite easy.

Jean-Marie Schweizer wrote:
>>> The biggest and most important work it to write something, somewhere.
>>> Compared to the actual writing, converting text to other media is a
>>> small effort, I think.
>
> The problem I see with the conversion is that Wiki will have a lot of
> levels and references. I don't think that is going to be easy to
> convert. Wiki uses the full benefit of the web, of course, but it will
> not be translated into a printable document that easy.

IMHO that is a problam anyway!
Even if you _can_ have many levels on the wiki, I dont think we
should! We risk confusing the reader and get him/her lost.

> If we saw how that the conversion works and how, we could focus on some
> ground rules on how to write withing the Wiki so the SXW documents end
> up as useful as they are now. Otherwise we don't have a good alternative
> to the SXW documents.

We should have these rules anyway! An example for the
Installation Basics:

  Introduction
  What already exists
  System requirements
      + More about system requirements
  How TYPO3 works
  Webspace vs. Webserver
      + More about Webspace/webserver
  Before you start
      + More to know before you start
  How to install on
      + More about installing on Linux
      + More about installing other OS:es
  Install Tool
      + More about Install Tool
  Backend (BE)
  Troubleshooting

First you make a PDF of the first level (Introduction to
Troubleshooting). Then you append the "More about" pages one by
one at the end of the PDF. Voila - you got an Installation
manual in PDF (or any other format)! Then you get this:

  Introduction
  What already exists
  System requirements
  How TYPO3 works
  Webspace vs. Webserver
  Before you start
  How to install on
  Install Tool
  Backend (BE)
  Troubleshooting
  More about system requirements
  More about webspace/webserver
  More to know before you start
  More about installing on Linux
  More about installing other OS:es
  More about Install Tool

The headings tell you right away(?) that this is extra info - to
read if you have trouble/want to know more.

BUT, then the Installation Basics have to be written without
some of those small pages (plus the Debian installation) that it
refers to right now. We can' t have this:

Install Tool
    + Check Basic Configuration
        + Text Editor
        + php.ini
        + Restart your webserver

IMHO the level 3 pages does not belog to the Installation
Basics. The pages "Text Editor" and "Restart your webserver"
belong to FAQ (or something like that) and "php.ini" belongs to
"TYPO3 Configuration manual", in my opinion.

If we in the paragraph "Check Basic Configuration" instead name
the link to Text Editor something like
"_read_more_about_text_editors_in_TYPO3_FAQ" then it will work
in the wiki AND also in a printed document! Of course people
have to find/download/print the TYPO3 FAQ document (or web page)
but that´s not too hard, I think.

Does it make any sense? I have this quite clear in my head, but
it´s hard to explain in words...

--

/Peter Kindström, DocTEAM