[Typo3-documentation]Different documentation structure suggestion

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Mon Jul 5 22:28:05 CEST 2004

> Since I might not be the only one at that, I thought I'd discuss it
> here, if you don't mind?

On the contrary! IMHO it is always good to hear other peoples
opinions - especially from ordinary users.

> In short:
> I'd like to have a Typo3 user manual or functional reference in which I
> can quickly look up things like 'create new page' or 'add column to
> template' or 'change user rights'. And a template reference, giving the
> concept basics, and explaining simple and to the point 'if you are
> looking to do this, do it that way' etc.

I think I know what you mean, I had/have quite the same
experience. Started with the tutorials and got a site up, but
then I wanted to change default language... And had nowhere too
look it up!
(Later found it in the middle of a tutorial - not exactly easy
to find...)

I dont know about the others in the DocTEAM, but I want to get
at least these documents written (besides the Installation and
Upgrade manual):

* Typo3 Introduction
A little about how to use Typo3 as an administrator. Lots of
info could be used from the Getting started manual.

* Typo3 Configuration
Smaller paragraphs about configuration, like PHP memory limits,
default language, how to use favicons and things like that.

* Typo3 Backend modules
Explanations about every "build-in" Typo3 backend module, like
Page, List, Access and so on. Should explain every part of the
module, how to use it and what all options mean.

* Typo3 Basic templates
How to use templates. This can be huge, but I want to
concentrate on TemplaVoila which I believe is the future for
Typo3... Maybe there will be a need for a Typo3 Advanced
templates too?

* Typo3 Menu Basics
How to make different types of menues. Some of this is already
explained (dont rememder where) but there is a need for more
examples and maybe some more explanations.

* Typo3 User management
How to create and manage both BE and FE users. Could maybe be a
part of Typo3 Configuration...

This is just a little of _my_ ideas. And as I said, they are
completely my own! We have to discuss them later in the DocTEAM,
but some of them can be seen on the wiki. Look at my personal
page for more info:
   http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/User:Peter

/Peter Kindström