[Typo3-documentation]Different documentation structure suggestion

E. Veelo eveelo at artcenter.edu
Mon Jul 5 20:48:33 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am a newcomer to Typo3 and am reading my way through the available
documentation. And, although there is an extensive amount of
documentation available, I still can't quite find what I am looking
for. Since I might not be the only one at that, I thought I'd discuss
it here, if you don't mind?

Before I explain what I'm looking for, let me explain where I'm coming from:
I am a full time web designer, or Art Director as I'm called on the
job  (@agency.com), so I basically breath Photoshop. I do so for
about ten years now and along the way I've made myself familiar with
HTML, Javascript, CSS, PHP and MySQL (which comes in handy as I can
design already knowing how it should be build, and in private
undertakings actually building the site myself). So I have a good
starting knowledge of the technical part of site building. And I've
build dynamic websites myself, not with a particular Universal CMS
like Typo3, but basically building a custom application for each
situation. So I have a certain pattern of thinking of how I build
fixed content and dynamic content, how to include this and compute
that. I'm used to build my templates directly in PHP.

What am I looking for:
Now I want to make the switch to Typo3, but I can't find something
that tells me how I do in Typo3 what I used to do in PHP. Something
that tells me: this is what a template file is made up of; if you
have a page ready in HTML, this is how you turn it into a template;
this is how you include dynamic content; this is how you build a menu
template and include it in the master template; this is how you
create variables, store them in sessions, and act upon them; etc.
Like a quick-start guide for insiders. Much less a step by step
manual where you explain the template concept while at the same time
explaining Typo3.

In short:
I'd like to have a Typo3 user manual or functional reference in which
I can quickly look up things like 'create new page' or 'add column to
template' or 'change user rights'. And a template reference, giving
the concept basics, and explaining simple and to the point 'if you
are looking to do this, do it that way' etc.

Does this make sense? Took me a while explaining and I'm still not
sure if my point is clear. I hope you get what I mean... And maybe
this documentation does already exist, in that case, excuse my
ignorance and please point it out to me.

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Edwin Veelo