[Typo3-documentation] voting ?

Coby Pachmayr coby at _remove_ideaspring.com
Mon Aug 2 08:07:44 CEST 2004

"Jean-Marie Schweizer" <jms at marktauftritte.ch> wrote in message
news:mailman.1.1091420163.22172.typo3-project-documentation at lists.netfielders.de...
> > I will be still monitoring the list... but I don't think I'll be
> > participating until there are some more decisions made.
>
> OK, I voted yes for your and Peters methodology.

I still think it is worth taking a look (not stopping work while doing it)
but looking at how other well run OpenSource groups do it. IMHO anyway.

> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Agendaitem_usethismethod
>
> I still believe, work on structure and housekeeping is important to
> improve the quality of the documentations.

I believe that as well.

> However, I would like to set a goal that by the end of August we have
> some consenses from enough peole about how we want to do it, so the
> actual work on the documentations can beginn.

That seems like a good time frame.

> I hope we can keep the votings down to core issues, enough to set the
> ground rules.

That is why I think it will be faster with the voting... because you set
time frame to decide, post opinions, vote, then implement, move on.  No
endless discussion, and new contributors can easily read past decisions;
casual supporters will see a structure in place (because we actually
implemented) and help fill-in-the-blanks.

> Now here is the question:
>
> Are you and Peter going to be part of this or are you going to do your
> own thing anyway?

I'm sorry for no quick answer on this one... but you all know me by know...
brevity is not my strength.... and I want to give a complete picture: (Skip
to ***SHORT** at bottom if you want)

Like all of us I am sure, we all have our various reasons for being an
active part of this community and making things better.  As I mentioned
earlier I have some sites that have to be done first... and I will have to
relegate myself to doing things (this group or others) that work towards
that end.  I also have a deadline which is end of August for these sites --
much will depend on how quickly I can get answers to the questions (bugs?)
that still plague me (RTE, etc.)

Then September through December I have other commitments that will keep me
very busy -- but I will have to wait and see how much.  I am actively
running one business now, in the middle of launching another, and planning
for a third -- all while also being full-time active duty military in the US
Navy... so as you can imagine I am *very* busy... not to mention there is no
telling when I might be out to sea.

***SHORT***
Because of the things I mentioned above, I will need to be making my own
arrangenments to be sure that I get my goals met.  I have no fundamental
problem with participating here, in fact it may save me some money if things
go smooth.
****END:SHORT***

Skip the rest of this if you want....

But I have to get better version control on these docs, and get them
"in-sync" with the code.  I know Jean-Marie you are probably tired of that
saying already! :-)

It's been like trying to learn PHP5 with PHP3 and PHP4 books ... only *much*
worse... I can't figure out what is a bug in code, and what is a bug in
documentation.  Posting in NG's only gets more "sympathy" from others with
the same struggle... and no where else to turn to for a straight answer.

Another plea to get some top level developers (Kasper?) to commit to coming
up with some sort of integration with the developers and the
documentation... like the other OS groups do.  I know programmers prefer to
"program", not stop and write docs... but why not use some of the tools that
automatically create doc outline by adding comments/markup within the code -
at the very least anyway, would be a commitment to answer the hard
programming level questions.  I think it is *silly* in my opinion to have
changes that are made and released without docs at the same time.

My personal bent would be on RTE issues... but then that's just because it's
killing me right now! :-)

**OPTIONAL QUESTIONS: OT**  Where is the most reliable source to get 3.6.1
source and tar.gz files?  I went to re-download the other day and they are
all replaced with 3.6.2... with the problems of 3.6.2  I was surprised to
find them missing!  Thank goodness PHP keeps older versions around... I
can't imagine if I had to download v5 and make all this work!
***

- Coby