[Typo3-documentation] voting ?

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Mon Aug 2 08:20:51 CEST 2004

> But I have to get better version control on these docs, and get them
> "in-sync" with the code.  I know Jean-Marie you are probably tired of that
> saying already! :-)

I'm not tired of it, I just don't get it yet.

> Another plea to get some top level developers (Kasper?) to commit to coming
> up with some sort of integration with the developers and the
> documentation... like the other OS groups do.  I know programmers prefer to
> "program", not stop and write docs... but why not use some of the tools that
> automatically create doc outline by adding comments/markup within the code -
> at the very least anyway, would be a commitment to answer the hard
> programming level questions.  I think it is *silly* in my opinion to have
> changes that are made and released without docs at the same time.

Silly or not, good or not. It is how it is. I think the programmers job
should be to document the code for other programmers to understand and
develop further.

My programmers tell me that a big problem of TYPO3 is that there are a
lot of functions that are not documented. It got better a lot, but still
is somehow chaotic. I can't tell if that is true or not and don't blame
anybody for anything.

BUT. It's not our job to do the programmers job. I want to support the
programmers to take over the part of writing the documentation about an
extension they programmed etc. All they need to do is to write some
notes of functionality and leave it up to the docTeam to write it out.
Don't worry about structure, how to write a documentation, where to put it.

That way they can focus on programming and documenting the code.

I think that would help all of us and the community benefits from it for
sure. And, maybe with that in mind we also cover your  "in-sync" problem.

> **OPTIONAL QUESTIONS: OT**  Where is the most reliable source to get 3.6.1
> source and tar.gz files?  I went to re-download the other day and they are
> all replaced with 3.6.2... with the problems of 3.6.2  I was surprised to
> find them missing!  Thank goodness PHP keeps older versions around... I
> can't imagine if I had to download v5 and make all this work!

I think Michael Stucki should know that, since he creates the packages.
Ask in the english list or maybe in the install list to get a quick answer.

Jean-Marie