[TYPO3-dam] DAM and TYPO3 4.5

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon Dec 13 11:43:54 CET 2010

Hi,

> TYPO3 4.5 will introduce a File Abstraction Layer that will replace a
> part of DAM's functionality. As far as I know Dan is part of the FAL
> project.
>
> We now have several issues in the bugtracker concering changes in TYPO3
> 4.5. ATM we are working on two branches:
>
> - Trunk is DAM 1.2dev, open for new features, requiring TYPO3 4.4 (or 4.3?)
>
> - Branch 1.1 is DAM 1.1.8dev, bugfixes only, minimum (still supported)
> TYPO3 version 4.2.

It's not yet sure that FAL will indeed be part of 4.5, so we can't
really bet on it. OTOH DAM 1.2 is long overdue IMO. So I would propose
to try and roll out 1.2 as soon as possible with all the necessary fixes
for 4.5, but *without* FAL even if it makes it into 4.5 (I hope that
would be possible). Then work could start on DAM 1.3 or 2.0, which would
incorporate FAL. I'm afraid that trying to build FAL support into the
DAM will push back a new version to some very late future, especially
given the very low recent activity in DAM development (no reproaches,
just a fact).

I'm not part of the team, so that's just my opinion ;-)

Cheers

--

Francois Suter