[TYPO3-dam] Required fields during upload index_fieldList ?

georg kuehnberger georg at georg.org
Tue Sep 22 18:28:05 CEST 2009

Georg, thanks for your feedback & ideas,

Georg Ringer wrote:
> georg kuehnberger schrieb:
>> To me this looks like a mid-to-huge conceptional & functional bug, as
>> it results in NO possibility to asure certain fields ARE being filled in.
>
> Yeah it would certainly be a nice feature!

I still feel it's a bug rather than a feature ;-(

> 2 possible ways come to my
> mind (maybe not really working but at least a thought):
>
> - extra field in tt_content (works of course only if used in content
> element) which checks with a tcemain hook if used records are 'ok' and
> puts out a warning (or even deletes the records again from the content
> element)

Cool idea, however somehow too late, as this solution wont guarantee
that all mandatory fields are being filled in; think of usecases with
download-lists, where the app would select dam-records by category, or
similiar.

> - extra field in tx_dam which gets true if the record is ok, otherwhise
> a warning in the record, maybe even setting on the fly the fields in TCA
> to required [there is a nice hook for that too in TCA] and which used
> the cObj->enableFields hook or similar to prevent the record from being
> used
> Georg

How could this solution work in case of changing the "mandatoryness" of
  fields (or adding / removing mandatory fields - via TCA)? I cant
imagine a solution (without patch-processes / consistance.checks ...).

How about Version 3:
After the upload-indexing-dialog: the user is presented with a list of
those dam-records (with filename + small preview) which are missing
required metadata (acc to TCA), and those mandatory fields are rendered
as input-fields. In case no input given for required fields, the record
would be abandoned.
Dunno yet howto implement that one, however it would assure the needed
consistance of required metadata.

regards g