[TYPO3-dam] Featue File Variants & extend dam_list_batch

Jigal van Hemert | alterNET internet BV jigal at alternet.nl
Mon Mar 2 08:53:46 CET 2009

Hi Georg,

2009/3/2 Georg Ringer <news at ringerge.org>

> Dan Osipov wrote:
> > I'm not really sure what you mean by file variants... If you mean
> > versioning support, then yes, there are plans for it.
>
> as Francois guessed it right, I am meaning real file variants. Searching
> in the code looks like there are plans for it because an overlay can
> already be found.
>
> In my project I got e.g. a trailer in 20 different file formats which
> should still share the same meta data. This is also what the comments in
> the code are telling me.

Part of the meta data is file format, creator (application that is),
dimensions, date/time, etc.

Maybe the "variants" should not be sharing the same meta data, but have a
relationship (parent/child, related, ...)?

This may also be an issue for versioning. Technical users may consider the
same document in a new format, possibly with another author to be a new
document, but others may feel that if the same document is updated to a
newer file format or passed to another author that is still the same
document...

--

Jigal van Hemert.