[TYPO3-dam] Discussion: Option to hide caption, alt+title fields in content elements

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Aug 14 17:22:49 CEST 2009

georg kuehnberger schrieb:

>>> .: Hide caption + alt + title field.
>> One nice feature of DAM is to reuse media without copying it. Then
>> having different captions (per CE) is sometimes mandatory.
>>
>> So we have at least 3 scenarios for captions-alt-titlefield :
>> 1. DAM only (then hide CE ones)
>> 2. CE only (hide in DAM records)
>> 3. DAM but "overridable" in CE if provided
>
> Patrick, you are right here. to be more precise: The best way-of-work is
> 3. which we practice in most setups.
> it boils down to:
>
> A) force Editors to insert "caption + alt + title" (or any lesser
> combination) RIGHT during initial upload, so that your media WILL have a
> minimum of required metadata (done via TCA).
>
> B) DO use the TYPO3-Core Translation features for dam-metadata in case
> of a multi-lang site. (multi-lang config see wiki)
>
> C) Reuse the stored metadata throughout any FE-Display as default value.
> This is also the major "selling point" to Editors:
> Enter metadata ONLY ONCE - Reuse anywhere.
>
> D) optionally: For some experienced Editors / or all: show the CE-based
> "caption + alt + title" fields and config them to overide the DAM-meta
> data.

One thing that annoys me and editors I worked with:

1) DAM is integrated to be used for tt_content and other records.
2) The field where DAM media can be added has nice thumbnails of the
already added images to its right.
3) I can click on the thumbnials to get to a read-only view of this record.

But why is it "read-only"?? Maybe I want to change its global caption at
this moment? I have no way to get to the "edit view" of this particular
DAM media. I have to remember the path, move back to Media>List and then
find my file again (*very* error prone), edit and then move back to my
original content element..

Maybe there is already a config-setting to get that view read-write? :)

Cheers,
Ernesto